Regulation Impact Statement Updates
Official website for publishing regulatory impact analysis information for regulatory decisions announced by the Australian Government, COAG and COAG Councils.
Tobacco Plain Packaging
Post–implementation Review – Department of Health
In April 2010 the then Prime Minister announced a decision to require all tobacco products to be sold in plain packaging. The regulation also standardised the appearance of the tobacco products themselves.
A Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) was required but not finalised before the decision. Consequently, under the Government’s best practice regulation process a Post‑implementation Review (PIR) was required.
The measure was fully implemented from 1 December 2012.
A PIR was completed by the Department of Health in February 2016 and was assessed as compliant by the Office of Best Practice Regulation (OBPR). Regulatory costings have been agreed with the OBPR. The Department of Health subsequently provided an addendum, dated 19 May 2016, to the analysis contained in Appendix A to the PIR.
- Tobacco Plain Packaging PIR [ 374KB]
- Tobacco Plain Packaging PIR [ 660KB]
- Tobacco Plain Packaging PIR – Appendix A [ 225KB]
- Tobacco Plain Packaging PIR – Appendix A [ 351KB]
- Tobacco Plain Packaging PIR – Appendix B [ 630KB]
- Tobacco Plain Packaging PIR – Appendix B [ 625KB]
- Tobacco Plain Packaging PIR – Appendix C [ 1.0MB]
- Tobacco Plain Packaging PIR – Appendix C [ 542KB]
- Addendum to Appendix A [ 24KB]
- Addendum to Appendix A [ 18KB]